Friday, June 24, 2016

Du süße Deutsche Kartoffel

Perhaps the most life-giving thing that I am involved in here in Germany is the youth group of the church that we are working with. The ages range from 13 to about 25, so it’s a super fun mix of people. I’ve clicked really well with them, and I’ve been able to spend time hanging out with them outside of church. KFC has sort of become our place, and we’ve spent hours there hanging out. We’ll walk in and they’ll say, “Welcome to America. Welcome home.” And during the week, I’ll get texts from different guys asking if I want to go swimming in the river, have a barbeque at their house and watch soccer (or futbol, as it’s properly called), or go out to the best ice-cream shop in the state. In the midst of the business of the refugee crisis, it’s amazing feeling cared for and knowing that I’ve been embraced as part of their church family.
The youth group meets on Friday nights, and tonight’s youth group (6/24) was a welcome party for a group of younger kids. The theme, unbeknownst to them, was Disney. They showed up and everybody was dressed up in some of the most legit Disney costumes you’ll ever see. We played games, had pizza and cake, and just had a blast welcoming these kids into the group. It reminded me so much of the youth group at my home church, Wellspring. Even the church itself has reminded me of Wellspring with the family in it that I've found. Anyways, at the end of tonight, we did karaoke and had a dance party, and it was SO fun. All these people in over-the-top Disney costumes jumping, dancing, laughing, it made me feel home. F.I.R.E. squad back at Wellspring- it was almost identical to so many of our nights in the summers, and it made me miss you all a ton.
Everyone in this group that I’ve met has been amazing, and they are all so hungry for what God has for them. I’m so thankful for the position that I’m in. I am able to do discipleship with a few of the younger guys, and we’ve begun meeting regularly to talk and grow. These dudes love Jesus and want to go deeper so bad. It’s inspirational. School gets out in about a week for them, and I can’t wait to be able to take them out on outreaches with us. I’m so lucky to be able to disciple them this summer and equip them as leaders going forward to continue making an impact in and around this church even after I’ve left.
This church has been an unexpected gold mine for me as I’m here. No matter how crazy or difficult a week may be, I always look forward to the Fridays and Sundays that I get to spend with my German church family.
Thanks for reading this little blurb about how much I love this church!
Much love,

Bae

No comments:

Post a Comment